Thursday, June 1, 2023

My Journey to the US - Part 1

 

My journey to the US started sometime in 2000-something when Raul and I applied for a US visa. We were still based in Sogod, Southern Leyte. For some reason we went to Manila and applied for an interview. I don't remember what prompted us to pursue that path. Sadly, we were denied the visa. I don’t even remember we had any itinerary at that time. And maybe we were still at the prime age that the consular officer thought we would stay behind and work. Or maybe, Raul’s record from his early 90’s US stint was still on record. There are a lot of possible reasons I can think of why we were denied. But it all just boils down to not being the right time.


Then in 2014, we applied again. This time as part of Raul’s work with Samaritan’s Purse. All new employees needed to go to the IHQ in Boone, North Carolina for briefing and security training. I tagged along for the visa. It was just a two-week training and it was an all-expense paid-trip for Raul. The office provided the itinerary, the hotel booking and everything he would need for the trip. I would buy my own ticket. We were again denied. The consular officer said that they could have just done the briefing and training in Cambodia. I think he has a point. So that was the second strike.


Ok. Those were our personal efforts to get the visa. They were both unsuccessful so we just let it that way. The desire was still there but I did not know how it would materialize.

 

This is where the pivot happens. Indeed God orchestrates your life. While we were living in Manila, Nanay Ely would stay with us when she visits the Philippines. Nanay Ely’s late husband, Boboy, was my mom’s younger brother. The whole family migrated to the US in the early 90's.


Nanay Ely’s stay with us in Manila somehow established my connection with their children, my cousins. I have never met them in person (or I might have when we were still very young). Later when Nanay Ely decided to stay in Borongan more often, she found a relative who would live with her and take care of her. She built a house in Locsoon (a coastal barangay in Borongan) where she also built a student dormitory to help students who were looking for a place to stay near their school. I never had a chance to visit her whenever I go to Borongan to visit Mama. Partly because she lived in Locsoon and my trips were always just for a day or two. I did not really roam around to visit people.


In June 2021, Nanay Elly got sick of COVID. It was me who informed Conchie, the eldest child, about her condition. Two days after that news, Nanay Ely died. I was the main coordinator of the things that needed to be done - cremation and all. Later one of her children asked me if I would be willing and available to bring the cremains to the US. Of course, I was willing and available. But I did not have a US visa. 


So my cousin had me apply for a visa interview. She paid Php9,000 for the visa. After paying the visa fee, I had to go to a website to get an appointment. That was July 2021. I got excited when I saw that August 24 was open so I booked it. Later I realized that the exact date was August 24, 2022, a year after. I requested for an expedited appointment. My cousin sent a letter to the US Embassy supporting my request. But it was denied. 


My cousin decided to go to the Philippines and personally pick up the cremains. I brought the cremains from Tacloban to Manila. She had to be quarantined in Manila for 10 days so we did not actually meet. I just had to send the urn through the hotel's front desk. She was supposed to finish her quarantine on her birthday but it was also the time that Metro Manila got into its final lockdown. All restaurants were closed. So from her hotel she just went straight to the airport and flew back to the US. She did bring me some goodies and stuff, some of which I sent to Borongan. 


Fast forward, August 24, 2022 was approaching. I had second thoughts of going to the interview because I did not have supporting documents, especially the financial capacity. I have bank accounts but they are just that - accounts. They do not have money in it to support a US trip. However, I still decided to show up at the interview. I thought I had nothing to lose anyway. If I get the visa, well and good. If not, still well and good. I still prepared other supporting documents like a certification from the Biblical Seminary of the Philippines (BSOP) that I am a PhD student, and I brought our CTC to the condo, Raul’s contract with Action Against Hunger and other docs that might be helpful.


It was also the time that Raul and I were in Manila to pick up the sedan that Kim bought from his Auntie Marie. We brought the car to Dumaguete. It took us 3 days to travel and amazingly the car never broke down. On the way, we stopped by the famous Mt Mayon in Daraga, Albay.

Anyway, I got my US visa. The officer did not even ask for any document. I thought maybe it was because their records show that I had a cousin who was willing to fund my trip.

 

So yay! I got a 10-year multiple entry visa. On to the adventures!!! 

No comments: