Wednesday, December 3, 2008

Yiddish-Speaking Jews in Hungary


Rose Warmer was born into a Hungarian Jewish family in 1909, and grew up amidst war and national rivalries. Hungary was on the losing side in World War I, and many Hungarians chose to blame their loss on the Jews living among them. Thus Rose learned very early the hazards of being Jewish.

Rose's life was filled with deep searching and despair. For several years she read the Bible but didn't understand what it said. Then in 1939, at the age of 30, she heard a Gospel sermon, which spoke of Jesus as the Jewish Messiah. Three days later she surrendered her life to Him. With her new status as a registered church member, she was able to avoid being arrested by the Nazis. She used her freedom to offer comfort and assistance to fellow Jews, and to share Christ with them.

One day Rose saw a number of Jews being taken away. "It was a terrible scene, and I watched...so burdened for them all I could hardly breathe. Then a shock went through my body. I recognized some of the villagers. Some of them were my friends... If they were being taken over the border to be killed, I wanted to be killed with them. I felt I belonged to them. I was their teacher. I was the only one who could bring them the Word of God in their anguish." (Continued tomorrow)


Pray for love and boldness for those ministering to Jewish people in Israel today.-AL

Matt. 4:17

"From that time on Jesus began to preach. 'Repent, for the kingdom of God is near."

No comments: